This is a pre-boot menu that loads just before the android system starts, which allows you to enter recovery, start adb daemon, run 2nd init script, run 2nd boot and few more. I recently changed the format of this post so that i can easily add updates, and i hope you guys don’t mind it, and if you want to check the old post, here is the link. I have also added an unofficial changelog. This MOD was developed by Korean Developers at http://cafe.naver.com/androiders, so big thanks goes to them.
Latest Version: v0.5.1
Last Update: 4/16/2011
- Load second init.rc file which enables you to do a lot of things that were not possible before.
- Load custom recovery before booting os, which makes it possible to restore your nandroid backup or flash a new rom even if your system is not booting.
- Run ADB Daemon to debug system boot using logcat or similar tools, very useful for developers.
- Change the default boot to 2nd init, so you can load the 2nd init on default boot.
- And much more….
- Version 0.5.1 (Latest)
- Version 0.5.0
- Version 0.4.5
- Version 0.3.1
- Version 0.2.0
XDA-Developer Forum Members, Download Latest Attached File, Non-Members, Click Here.
- Simply follow the installation instructions, it will overwrite the old version and install the new one.
- Download the latest zip file.
- Create a folder “bootmenu” on your sd card and extract all the files inside the zip file there.
- Turn on usb debugging on your phone. And use the following commands in adb:
C:/> adb shell
# cp -R /sdcard/bootmenu /data/bootmenu
# cd /data/bootmenu
# chmod 755 *
# rm -R /data/bootmenu
- The bootmenu will be installed.
- Turn off USB Debugging.
- Restart your device once.
- Check the Using “Pre Boot Menu” section for instructions on how to use.
Using Pre Boot Menu:
- Turn your phone off.
- Press the Power Button.
- After 1-10 seconds, the blue led on your phone will light up for just 1.5 seconds (Still while the Motorola logo is being displayed).
- Exactly when the led lights up, press the volume down button.
- You will see the BootMenu, use the Volume Button to navigate up and down, and the power button to select an item.
- Bug Fixes
- Minor Internal Script Changes
- Bug Fixes
- Few Changes In UI (Background)
- Updated All Scripts, Better Compatibility With Most ROMS
- Changed Directory Structure
- Bug Fixes
- Changed Name Of OpenRecovery To Custom Recovery
- ADB Daemon Works Now
- Few Minor Changes…
- Replaced Tenfar’s Recovery With OpenRecovery
- Added 2nd Init Script
- Bug Fixes
- Minor UI Enhancements
- Initial Release
- Added BootMenu
- Added Tenfar’s Recovery
- ADB Daemon
- 2nd Init
- Custom Recovery
- Default Recovery
- Setting 2nd Init As Default
- Normal Boot
What Doesn’t Work:
- 2nd Boot (Can Be Done Via 2nd Init Though)
- Korean Developer “ohnholic” and Other Korean Developers for creating this
- Korean Forum User “intohim” for providing me this file and helping me translate Korean things to English.
- Korean Forum User “고봉현” for mailing me about the updates as soon as they are released, and also for providing some files.
- XDA Developer “tenfar” for his ClockWorkMod Port To Defy.
- Developer “Koushik Dutta” for ClockWorkMod.
- XDA User “pedrodh” for creating an easy installer.
- And everyone i forgot to mention….
- Easy Installer (APK) for this MOD.
- Cyanogenmod 7 Port Based On 2nd Init Using This MOD (Under Developement)
- MiUi Port Based On 2nd Init Using This MOD (Under Developement)
P.S. I do not take any responsibilities for the damages caused by this tool. If you brick your device, the most i can do is *help* you recover your system. So use it on your own. Works on my phone.